AUTHOR: NITI PIB BOT – MAY 9, 2015 http://www.niticentral.com//2015/05/09/modernisation-of-drdo-312496.html
Modernisation of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is a continuous process.
One of the major recommendations of Kelkar Committee report was to review the functioning of DRDO. Accordingly, a Committee headed by Dr. P. Rama Rao was constituted by the Government for reviewing the functioning of DRDO.
The Committee submitted its report to the Government. After examination, the Government has implemented the following recommendations of the Committee:
• Nomination of Nodal Officers for structured interaction between DRDO and Services.
• Introduction of Integrated Financial Advice (IFA) Scheme for financial decentralization.
• Appointment of a dedicated Chief Controller for Human Resources (HR).
· Creation of Seven Technology Domain based Clusters headed by Director’s General,Restructuring of DRDO HQrs, Creation of Directorate of Systems Analysis and Modelling (SAM) and Directorate of Quality, Reliability and Safety (QR&S).
· Efforts have also been made to increase budget for Extramural Research as recommended by the Committee.
Further,a note has been initiated by DRDO for approval of the Cabinet for:
· Creation of empowered Defence Technology Commission (DTC).
· Creation of a Commercial Arm of DRDO.
· Renaming of Director General, DRDO as Chairman, DRDO.
· Full scale implementation of IFA scheme and creation of posts thereto.
This information was given by Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar in a written reply to Shrimati Meenakashi Lekhi in Lok Sabha today.