8th August 2011
The Defence Minister
Room No -104, South Block
New Delhi – 110011
I wish to bring to your notice another case of irregularities being committed by Dr. Arun Kumar, DOP, DRDO Hqrs. in the matter of recruitment of appointment to the post of Scientist ‘B’ ( A Group ‘A’ Gazetted Post in DRDO)
- Sh. Dharmender Kumar was the Senior Technical Assistant -‘B’ (Non Gazetted Post) in SPIC, DRDO, Delhi. On his selection for appointment to the post of Assistant Professor( Mathemetics) in NDA, Khadakwasla, Pune, he resigned from the post of Senior Technical Assistant -‘B’ , which was accepted by the competent authority and he was relived on 20th December 2010 from SPIC, DRDO, Delhi. He joined the post of Assistant Professor (Mathematics) in NDA, Khadakwasla, Pune on 22nd December 2010.
- Sh. Dharmender Kumar on his selection for appointment to the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO through Limited Departmental Competitive Examination for the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO vide DOP, DRDO letter No DOP/05/56002/LDCE 09-20 dated 23th December 2010.
- As per clause 2 (h) of terms & condition of offer of appointment letter, Sh. Dharmender Kumar was required to assume the appointment of Scientist ‘B’ within one month from the date of issue of above referred offer letter (23rd December 2010),failing which the offer of appointment will be cancelled( as mentioned in the)
- Further, as per terms & condition of offer of appointment issued to the Sh. Dharmender Kumar on 23rd December 2010 i.e. after 3 days of his being SOS from DRDO, and 1 day after joining the NDA, Pune, he was required to undergo a medical test by the prescribed medical board and required essentially to undergo a training course of Scientist ’B’ at DIAT, Pune. Further as per Directorate of Human Resources, DRDO letter No DHRD/17050/DIAT/POINTS16/C/M/1 dated 31st March 2011 that 20 weeks duration mandatory training course for Scientist ’B’ has been scheduled w.e.f 20th April 2010.
- Sh. Dharmender Kumar should had not been issued with the letter of offer of appointment to the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO on 23rd December 2010, when he at own resigned and SOS from DRDO on 20th December 2010 and joined NDA, Pune on 22nd December 2010. The post of Scientist ‘B’ against which he was selected was meant out for the departmental candidate of DRDO as such, when he was not entitled to be given the offer of appointment to the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO
- When the last date(22nd January 2011) bu assumption of charge of appointment to the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO and joining the mandatory training course in DIAT, Pune by 20th April 2011 has already expired, his request for joining the post of Scientist ‘B’, DRDO should not have been entertained.
- Sh. Dharmender Kumar vide his letter dated 3rd February 2011 written directly to Scientific Adviser to RM (and not through proper channel of his office NDA, Pune) requested to extend the period of joining in DRDO as Scientist ‘B’ for a period of 2 months. The extended period of joining time expired on 22nd February 2011.
- As per the terms & condition of offer of appointment to the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO as well as under the provision of DRDS Rules 1979 and amendments made thereof, the offer of appointment was required to be cancelled when he has failed to adhere to the terms & condition, a offer of appointment.
- From the contents of letter dated 3rd February 2011 of Sh. Dharmender Kumar it is under that he was bypassed the official channel by writing directly to Scientific Adviser to RM, when he has holding the post of Assistant Professor (Mathematics) in NDA, where he was supposed to taught lesson overall discipline, including with regards to correspondence, command & control. He has left DRDO and NDA not for the sake of nation, but consideration (refer to para of his letter 3rd February 2011) both the offer being equally lucrative, more ever; the growth prospect and financial incentive were higher in the said venture. He has send the copy of his letter directly to the DOP, DRDO and not to his earlier controlling authority i.e. SPIC, DRDO
It is highly regretted to say that instead of taking any action against him for the acts of subordination, which are subversive of discipline, and cancelling the offer of appointment to the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO, he has been allowed to join the post of Senior Technical Assistant -‘B’ in SPIC, DRDO on 2nd May 2011 and the very next day i.e. 3rd May 2011 itself the DOP processed his case vigorous speed to evaluate him to join the post of Scientist ‘B’ in DRDO, thus violating the provision of:
a) Terms & Condition of the offer of appointment letter to the post of Scientist ‘B’
b) DRDS Rules 1979
c) Central Civil Services (Conduct) Rule 1964
d) DHRD,DRDO Letter No DHRD/17050/DIAT/POINTS16/C/M/1 dated 31st March 2011
I would like to request you to kindly consider the above facts and ask the Defence Secretary to conduct a thorough inquiry into cases of misuse, abuse and unauthorized use of office and position of DOP,DRDO by Dr Arun Kumar, Scientist ’H’ Outstanding Scientist, DRDO Scientist of the Year Award in the year 2008. So that rule of law is allowed to prevail in the organization in a transparent manner.
We all look forward to your statements “Nurture talent, ensure fairness” “fairness at all levels”, but Sir, DRDO’s honest employees are eagerly waiting for implementing your statements, I ensure on behalf of all DRDO’s honest employees if the day this is implemented, the whole nation will see the great output of DRDO.
- Copy of Sh. Dharmender Kumar vide his letter dated 3rd February 2011
- Inputs of DRDO Officials
- Prime Minister Office 011-23019545 / 23016857
- Smt. Sonia Gandhi, Chairperson, UPA Fax no.23018651
- Scientific Adviser to RM, Room No 531, DRDO Bhawan, Rajaji Marg, New Delhi