FIRST APPEAL U/S 19(1) OF Right to Information Act, 2005To, Dr Lokendra Singh, OS & Sceintist ‘H’ First Appellate Authority, DRDO RTI Cell, Room No. 314 – A/A, DRDO Bhawan, Rajaji Marg, New Delhi-110105
Subject: First Appeal under Section 19(1) of RTI Act 2005
Reference: Letter No. DMS/0369/RTI/R/2013/0029 dated 14 Nov 2013 issued by CPIO, DMSRDE, Kanpur
I am distressed by above referred decision of Central Public Information Officer, DMSRDE, Kanpur. I hereby submit this appeal u/s 19(1) of RTI Act 2005 for your kind consideration & decision.
1. Details of appellant:-Name Prabhu Dayal Dandriyal Address 21-Sunderwala, Raipur Dehradun-248008, Uttarakhand
2. Details of Central Public Information Officer (CPIO):-Name & Rank Shri Sarvesh Kumar , Scientist ‘F ‘ Address DMSRDE, GT Road, Kanpur-208013
3. Particulars of Decision/Order of CPIO against which appeal:-
Decision vide letter No. DMS/0369/RTI/R/2013/0029 dated 14th Nov 2013 received by appellant on 24 November 2013. Copy enclosed as Enclosure -1.
4. Facts & Grounds leading to appeal:
(a) An application under Section 6(1) of RTI Act 2005 dated 23rd October 2013 was submitted to CPIO, DMSRDE, Kanpur for providing information regarding “Private cars with registration No. UP78 BS 1144 and UP78 CP 6510 using DMSRDE for commercial purpose”. Copy of the RTI Application dated 23rd October 2013 is enclosed as Enclosure-2.
(b) Central Public Information Officer, DMSRDE, Kanpur rejected the application u/s 24(1) of RTI Act 2005 vide letter No. DMS/0369/RTI/R/2013/0029 dated 14th November 2013 although it was clearly mentioned in RTI application that required information is directly related to the allegations of Corruption and not come under Schedule-II. However CPIO replied in the highly irresponsible manner which indicates the mismanagement and Corruption in DMSRDE.
(c) It was clearly mentioned in RTI application dated 23rd October 2013 that “Central Information Commission in its various decisions consistently held that establishment matters relating to the organization notified u/s 24 of the RTI Act come within the purview of the Act and information in this regard thereto are not exempted from disclosure. For examples decision pronounced in F. No. CIC/LS/A/2010/000107 dated 26.4.2010 and in F. No.CIC/SM/C/2008/ 00054/LS dated 29.01.2010”.
(d) In point d (1) of reply dated 14 Nov 2013, CPIO provided false argument. As per Purchase Management 2006 it is the responsibility of Director, DMSRDE to hire the transport services from that vendor, the vehicles of which are registered under Taxi at RTO. How can RTO know that a private car vehicle is being used for transport services at DMSRDE?
(e) In point d (2) of reply dated 14 Nov 2013, CPIO gave false argument for not providing the information sought. Committee under Chairmanship of Dr. Ashok Ranjan, Scientist ‘F’ and four other members for identification of vendors did not perform their responsibilities properly. As per findings of the Committee 15 vendors were identified for hired transport services and out of which 10 vendors were qualified as per guidelines framed by the Committee. General terms and conditions were also framed on 18 points by Committee as Annexure II of proposal provided to vendors for seeking quotations for hired transport services. In point no. 8 of General terms & conditions framed by the Committee it was clearly mentioned that “The lowest quotation will be accepted. In case of more than one lowest quotation, the firm whose cars/vehicles registered at RTO for taxi will be preferred”. This indicates that it was responsibilities of DMSRDE to check the registration of taxies whether these were registered as taxies at RTO.
(f) The arguments at point d (3) is again to put the responsibilities and accountability to minimize corruption in hiring of transport services , on the soldiers of local audit and test audit teams. In case both local & test audit teams were obliged by Director, DMSRDE on cash & kind then how can they raise the objections on irregularities and corruptions in contract of hired transport. It is well known fact that hired vehicles are being provided to local audit personnel (ACDA officials) on 24×7 and one DMSRDE official is also posted at ACDA office to assist ACDA. These illegal obligations putted on ACDA by Director, DMSRDE establish Corruption in the whole process of contract of hired transport.
(g) Contract given to M/s Super India Travels, Kanpur has been expired in July 2012 as contract was for only for one year and still now new contract has not been provided to any other vendor by the fresh tendering process as per Purchase Management 2006. One & half year extension to the same vendor smacks vested interest and leads Corruption.
(h) The vendor is not claiming service tax from DMSRDE; the vendor is not having service tax registration and not depositing service tax to Custom & Excise Department, Govt. of India. The issue of service tax registration is clearly mentioned in General terms and conditions framed by the committee so constituted by Director, DMSRDE. In point no. 17 of General terms & conditions framed by the committee it was clearly mentioned that “The rates quoted should be excluding the service tax. The service tax will be paid additionally only after receiving the proof of the service tax registration. No service tax will be paid if the operator fails to provide proof of valid service tax registration”.
(i) Facts mentioned at above establish irregularities in giving contracts to M/s Super India Travels, Kanpur and further illegal extension since one and half year indicates Corruption at DMSRDE, Kanpur in the whole process.
5. Prayer /relief sought for:-
Information sought vides RTI Application dated 23 October 2013 by appellant has been denied on false and invalid reasons by CPIO, DMSRDE, Kanpur. Therefore, appellant kindly prays to FAA, DRDO to allow this appeal and issue instructions/orders to CPIO, DMSRDE, Kanpur to provide the information sought as seek by appellant vide his RTI Application dated 23rd October 2013.
I hereby state that the information and particulars given above are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.Prabhu Dandriyal 21-Sunderwal, Raipur, Dehradun -248008 0135-2787750 – 91-9411114879 firstname.lastname@example.org, www.corruptionindrdo.com
(1) Letter from CPIO, DMSRDE dated 14th November 2013
(2) RTI Application dated 23 October 2013RTI Application dated 23 October 2013 To, Shri Sarvesh Kumar, Central Public Information Officer, DMSRDE, GT Road, Kanpur-208013
Subject: Application under Right to Information Act 2005
Kindly refer to following decisions of Central Information Commission and verdict given thereof in these decisions.
- File No. CIC/LS/A/2012/002612 dated 22.3.2013 (Dr. Neelam Bhalla vs. DRDO)Verdict – “It is, no doubt, true that DRDO is an exempted organisation; yet it has been the consistent view of this Commission that the benefit of exemption extends only to functional / operational matters and not to establishment related routine matters. The legality of this view has not been challenged in the relevant judicial forum so far”.
- CIC/LS/A/2010/000107 dated 26.4.2010 (Ms. K. Surya Kumari Vs DRDO)
- CIC/SM/C/2008/00054/LS dated 29.01.2010 (Shri Prabhat Vs DRDO)
- CIC/LS/A/2012/002487 dated 31.12.2012 ( Ms. Savitha Vs DRDO)
CIC in its above mentioned decisions consistently held that Establishment Matters relating to the organization notified u/s 24 of the RTI Act come within the purview of the Act and information in this regard thereto are not exempted from disclosure.
In light of the above decisions of CIC, Kindly provide the following information under RTI Act 2005.
- Total No. of transport/vehicles available in MT Division DMSRDE.
- Provide following information in respect of all vehicles available in DMSRDE.
- Type of vehicle, Brand name, Manufacturer
- Date of Purchase, purchase cost and source of fund(Build up/Project etc)
- Present depreciated cost as on 31.10.2013
- Average distance run /traveled by each vehicle in the year 2012-2013 separately for
- each vehicle.
- Total expenditure on maintenance of each vehicle separately in the year 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.
3. How many CMTD /MTD are posted in MT Division?
4. Mode of tendering for selection of vendors for hired vehicles (Local Board/Single Tender/Limited Tender/Open Tender/Repeat Order) for the following years.
5. Total budget of MT Division years 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2012-13.
6. Total expenditure and payment made for hired vehicles/transport for the years 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2012-13 along with name of vendor to whom the payment made.
7. Provide expenditure incurred on various heads for the years 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2012-13.
8. Provide information about vendor/firm which got contract for hired vehicles and amount paid to these vendors in following format
9. Amount of Service Tax that has been paid by DMSRDE to Vendor as reflected in bills submitted by vendor for depositing in Custom, Excise & Service Tax Department in
- Provide copies of CST (Comparative Statement) after opening of quotations duly approved by competent authority for the years 2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 for giving contract to vendors for hired vehicles services in DMSRDE.
- Provide copy of supply order placed for hiring private vehicles/transport for the FY 2011-2012, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 in DMSRDE.
- Copy of contract with terms & condition and rate (usage charges) for the year 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
- Whether any extension of contract for hired vehicle has been given to any vendor for during the years 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. (Yes/No)
- If answer to point (13) is yes then provide copy of rules under PM 2006 by which extension for contract of hired vehicle services (Repeat Order) could be given to vendor without going in fresh bidding.
- Details about maintenance of vehicles/transport available in DMSRDE for each vehicle/transport in following format
- Status of vehicle (operational/Non operational) available in DMSRDE when services of hired vehicles were utilized.
- Whether hired vehicles provided by vendor Super India Travels, Rama Devi, Kanpur with following registration number are registered at RTO, Kanpur under category of Taxi for commercial purposes. Registration & Details of vehicles are
(a) UP78 BS 1144 ( Indica Car White Color with white number plate)
(b) UP78 CP 6510 (Indigo CS White Car with white number plate)
- If answer to point (17) is Yes then provide copy of registration certificate issued by RTO Kanpur for said vehicles under Taxi for Commercial purpose.
- If answer to point (17) is No then provide the grounds on which vendor not having proper registration under Taxi from RTO, Kanpur was allowed to provide services in DMSDRE.
- The details of Vendor Registration Committee at DMSRDE with name & designation of Chairman and members.
The color of the number plates used in cars with registration No. UP78 BS 1144 and UP78 CP 6510 provided by vendor for hired services are not Yellow. The color of these no. plates are White. It establishes that cars used for hired transport in DMSRDE are not registered under TAXI FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSE. Also the said vendor is not registered at Custom & Excise Department under Service Tax category and not depositing any Service Tax for hired vehicles services at DMSRDE.
Therefore the Information Sought is pertaining to Allegations of Corruption and as such not exempted u/s 24 of the RTI Act 2005.
The information sought in this RTI Application is on Establishment Matter and as such not exempted u/s 24 of the RTI Act.
An IPO of Rs. 10/- as application fee (IPO No. 17F 549289) is annexed as Annexure-1.(Prabhu Dayal Dandriyal) Date: 23 October, 2013 21-Sunderwala, Raipur Dehradun-248008 Uttarakhand