To 29th March 2105 Sh Manohar Parrikar, Defence Minister, Room No 104, South Block, New Delhi -110011
Subject: Dr A K Gupta, Ex Director, IRDE helped in Backdoor Entry of Scientists in IRDE, DRDO, Dehradun
Sir, DRDO having unlimited example of manipulations in recruitments of scientists because of RAC. In beginning of 2000 when Dr W Selvamurty managed the post of CC R&D (HR) inspite of life sciences man which is not the core of DRDO. He create all nonsense in HR, promotions/postings/ recruitments are become business in DRDO.
The result was DRDO involved in lot of court cases till date DRDO paying his all mischiefs and his groomed scientists are sitting in various important posts and carrying all manipulations like Dr A K Singh, DOP and Dr R K Jain, Director, RAC. The chelas of Dr W Selvamurty squeeze DRDO in all means these adventures were sensed by ex defence minister and recommended CBI inquiry and advice recruitment of scientists should again given to UPSC.
Sir, in your reply of question No 789 in Loksabha that DRDO having shortage of more than 1200 scientists. It is wrong input supplied by DRDO in each and every lab more than 30% scientists are involved in admin allied work means almost 1800, the best part is that for financial benefits they shows the scientific contribution and it is totally false it can be verified anytime.
Sir, lot of scientists are not having work of their expertise and they are posted only for satisfaction of ego of Directors,DGs, DOP etc.
The following enclosed letter is received by website and forwarding you to investigate the truth behind the inputs.
21-Sunderwala, Raipur, Phone 0135- 2787750, Mobile- 9411114879, e-mail id email@example.com website www.corruptionindrdo.com
Enclosed : Letter received by website www.corruptionindrdo.com
Mr Rajkanwar Jolly of ADA is another example of backdoor entry, who was directly recruited by ADA as Scientist “G”, last year . Earlier he was working as contract employee at NAL !!
A One says
You Know about TVJ Rao Sc ‘F’ ACEM Nasik he was working in Thermax company as seals department Now the was Sc ‘F’. he was also come through back door in HEMRL Pune.
A great service to the nation, DRDO scientists are forced to work as slaves of dir. of labs.
Most of the drdo bosses such as directors need servants and not scientists. Force to do illegal work such as party and daru by managung public fund. DRL tezpur is example.
Right word says
माफिया सेवा चोर DRDO
Dr amit agrawal is the most productive and hard working scientist at photinics div. This is an effort to pull him down. His PhD was in nonlinear optics and light scattering which is clearly an area in IRFE. Before posting baseless allegations some enquiry should be done for facts.
S Goel says
I have a couple of points to share –
1. Have you checked the validity of such letter and allegations made?
2. If the person complaining is so truthful, why can’t he/she reveal his/her name?
3. What is someone writes that he/she paid you money to publish a letter on your website? Will you have guts to publish that as well, considering the ‘Right’ to be transparent and impartial?
My suggestions is don’t by cynical just because a bunch of people feel that DRDO (or any other organization) is ‘this’ and ‘that’, etc. This defames the whole organization and the country at large.
Also, by the simple words of the letter, anyone can simply smell rat. Anyone, with even infant Scientific bases, can sense the motive behind these allegations.
I’m not generalizing this, but the word we use, “jugaad” or “sifarish” is called as “Reference” in professional life, and there is nothing wrong. Also, if a senior person is trying to hire a person of repute with extra efforts, what wrong?
Based on quite Google search, I can see that at least of the persons have decently good publication record, including one in the top journal, “Physics Review Letters”. If the blogger or the complainer don’t knows, what is IF, I must mention that PRL has IF close to 10.
So, my point is.. think, think and think before putting in the public domain. Grow up!!
Goyal ji you are very much right that before putting in the public domain i have to check some realty.
of course i did some home work and seen some publications.
1. I have n numbers of example of DRDO where persons having much much best achievements and publications deprived by DRDOP dirty politics and result is if person having family commitments then he keep mum or otherwise he left the DRDO, you know the number of scientists left DRDO in last 10-15 years.
2. it is open challenge to you and others who may be thinking like that this website publishing matter for money or any vested interest can complain to any agencies existing in GOI for this.
3. the website not meant for defame the DRDO only such people can think this, who are corrupt or support to corrupts.
4. do you like the way DRDO directors treats the honest officials.
5. like Dr A K Maini Ex Director, LASTEC, who is one of the most corrupt man indulge with lot of corrupt activities and country is suffering from his wrong doings. he was succeeded to terminate the whistle blower but grace of god he is survived. So this is the reason people having proof but not dare dare to reveal their name, because of DRDO’s blind management.
6. Jugad & sifarish is ok but one have to see the surrounding also, now days are over people have access to see your wrong doings or manipulations, you have pay for this in service or otherwise your son or your grand children will going to ask you someday oh! man we know whatever you achieved this with manipulations only.
S Goel says
Thanks for replying. But it’s really funny that you’re accepting that you’ve done only, “SOME” home-work, not full. Also, the responses to your comments are built into your own comments, which are full of contradictions. At least I appreciate that you’re posting –ve (from your views) comments also.
1. You have ‘n’ number of such people.. but please don’t generalize it. Something happening with ‘n’ would not necessarily happen with ‘n+1’ of ‘m’ or whatever. I know all these things, but it doesn’t justify your allegations at all. Please don’t digress.
2. You’ve taken it personally, I’ve just shared an imaginary scenario about someone writing about you (even with ‘SOME’ home-work). Based on your own logic, why don’t you yourself complain about these cases, rather than tarnishing images of these people bringing them in public domain.
3. Who are you to decide?
4. No would like such practices (if they exists) but who has given you right to be GOD?
5. Again, you’re digressing.
6. Again, digressing.
In summary, you’ve nothing to say in response to my earlier points and keep on going round-and-round. Please wake up, and behaving in a matured and professional manner, by leveraging a system, and not making your own system. A simple law, if you don’t like a system, until you can change it, follow it.
Goyal ji website is running since may 2010 and you made comment only basis of Backdoor Entry of Scientists that this website is defaming the DRDO image.
if possible please justify the article and I am ready to publish your complete justification, always ready learn positive things.
waiting for your complete justification on the issue.
S Goel says
If your website is running since 2010, then the Scientists are working for decades and so on, so please don’t debate on the standing in terms of number of years.
Well, currently i’m mentioning abut this issue, but in general, we need to be sure of what we’re doing, more so if it involves other.
You have to give justification not me, you’re the one trying to defame people without proper justification and check.
It takes life and rigorous efforts to develop such a profile with outstanding contribution. Your meaningless attempts will not be worth hampering them.
So, please retract the posting and apologize. Once you’ve full justification post it again. In the meantime, you may send to the authorities for their investigation. Bot NEVER come in public domain with handicapped and stumped case.
At least Amit Agarwal is not like that. He has well proven track record internationally. Have you done any check before publishing about him??
Do you know DRDO asks for three references who are aware of candidates research work. Can you say that these three references push their candidate for jobs???
It looks like you are trying to spoil the life of junior scientists along with a senior scientist who is retired anyway. If you don’t have any proof of their wrong recruitment you should not reveal their identity at least. If you have any proof, what are you waiting for ??? Go to court now.
Dear Mr. Dandriyal,
Appreciate your efforts to expose corruption at higher levels in DRDO. However I would like to make some points regarding the scientists coming through NRI scheme.
1. Lateral entry through NRI scheme is meant to induct scientists with experience in research laboratories abroad at levels higher than the entry level.
2. There is a general impression that people coming through NRI scheme are back door entries. But the fact is that they are assessed at three levels (i) when their application is screened by a DRDO lab (ii) when they are interviewed through video conferencing while abroad (iii) when they are finally interviewed after joining in DRDO.
3. Many of the scientists who come through this stream have already established their credentials in their respective research areas by the way of high value publications. As an earlier post said, these are very hard earned reputations built over years.
4. But the sad truth is that most of the scientists who join DRDO under the NRI scheme are treated like outsiders. Rather than creating a conducive atmosphere where they can contribute to the R&D efforts of the lab, every effort is made to humiliate them.
5. At every available opportunity, they are made to believe that DRDO has done a big favour to them.
5. After a few years their reputations are shattered and many of them are humiliated to such an extent that they start wondering “Why did I ever join this organization?”
ADA Insider says
I am an ADA insider and know Mr Rajkanwar Jolly through the various meetings i atten in ADA. I do not Interact with him very often personally though. It is true that he was working in NAL for some time, though I do not know in what capacity. But what you have not mentioned is that he was a very bright scientist who would have reached probably Sc “G” much earlier or even Sc”H”, had he continued with ADA in his earlier stint. Yes he is a Scientist who left ADA and subsequently was taken back as he was available. His contribution in aero dynamics for Tejas Airforce and Navy is commendable. His services now in Tejas Navy Mk2 is also significant. I do not know if the person who had written the post about him is aware or wilfully canceled it. While I agree that corruption is too high in all walks of life in our country, we should not paint everything with the same brush. There are many patriotic people working in these organisations, who are trying to make things happen against all odds. Try to also bring some positive message of encouragement to these heros. Negative messages may bring in more TRP, but I think your intention is to strengthen DRDO and not to weeken it in any way. So I would greatly appreciate if you could at least put a rejoinder to the first message, informing your esteemed readers that the opinion expressed in the first post is entirely the view of the person who wrote on the blog and is not verified facts. This would also bring some credibility to your post unlike most of the Indian media, who are interested in defaming people and when the allegations are proven wrong, the news appears somewhere inside as a small and insignificant clipping.
anti corruption says
I myself have been working at ADA for many years and know him equally well. If he was so patriotic why did he leave ADA when the organization wanted him. He left it for his greed for MONEY to work in some private airlines…there also he fought with the airlines management and quit. he ditched NAL for similar reason. he also developed lot of issues with the management at NAL…this can be verified by his bosses & colleagues.
With such form of psychologically imbalance person, how he can be able to seen as patriotic…he creates problem then he will run…that’s not the patriot material at all, check your facts before becoming an advocate for such a mentally unstable person. he again managed to get the backdoor entry at ADA with influence and possible corruption. this should be investigated
Subhash Chandra Rana says
Lateral Entries are not useful in DRDO because there is not any basic research here only developmetal type of job. I would like to say that these lateral entries are only to favor somebodies known.
I say that direct entries are useless for DRDO. What has DRDO gained with such direct entries? Most of the staff today is taken as ScB and you can see the result. They hire persons with no experience and then they invest so much time and effort to train them. Finally, they go for sponsored MTech and PhD to IITs. They come back and prepare for the promotions. During their whole carrier they never work for establishment. Most of these people are those who have never qualified any exams in their life and they cant dream of going to any IITs.
If somebody comes with higher education, they dont need to be trained and they dont need to go for higher studies also. They can concentrate on work form the starting.
What is the relation with higher studies and basic research? why do you say that since their is not basic research, so people with high experience are not required?
i also agree with the comment of “anti corruption”. …this is a very very very very special case when lateral entry of Rajkanwar jolly was done when he was 54 years…almost near to retirement age… but this old man was given backdoor entry depriving all youngsters..this is all managed and manipulated
ADA Insider says
I know the sentiment echoed by “anti corruption” and “Mk2” as Mr. Rajkanwar jolly’s lateral entry would have effected some young scientists growth prospects and i entirely support their view on this aspect. ADA management, especially PGD should be aware of the descent and frustration caused to the Juniors, who have tirelessly worked for ADA, when some of the seniors like Mr. Rajkanwar jolly left the organisation for greener pastures. Now taking him back should not in any way effect the growth prospects of hard working junior scientists who stayed with ADA and supported the program during the difficult times. This will bread frustration and rebellion among the scientists against ADA leadership and unwanted negative publicity. However i still hold the view that there is no corruption involved.
ADA Insider says
Currently DRDO is recruiting scientists in various grades. On RAC website, the list of selected candidates are kept so secretive and require various level of authorization to see the names. Normally the list of successful candidates are published without the unwarranted secrecy shown by RAC. This veil of secrecy smacks of corruption.
I hold no brief for the scientists regarding questions raised over their recruitment which has to be impartially investigated. I guess the scientists would also want this to clear their names. However, some comments regarding the contributions of the two scientists Dr. Amit Agarwal and Dr. Alpana after they were recruited as a scientist are necessary to put the record straight.
1. The two scientists have contributed immensely to the Micro-optics and Nanophotonics programme that IRDE took up in the year 2012 under the leadership of Dr. Gupta and Mr. Sundaram, the then Director. This is one of the biggest national initiative in this area in the country. Currently, IRDE is one of the best labs engaged in the area of Micro-optics in the country. There are about 5-6 scientists who has gained good expertise in the area of Micro-optics fabrication.
2. Both the scientists contributed immensely to the formulation of the programme that has a significant level of academia participation.
3. Dr. Agarwal has contributed significantly to the Micro-fabrication activities in IRDE. This was possible due to his prior experience (PhD and post PhD).
4. Dr. Alpana developed a software for the design of Diffractive Optical Elements which is being used currently. This software gives comparable performance with commercially available softwares with the added advantage of flexibility to use as it was developed in house. Her prior experience in IRDE has been quite beneficial for the project.
5. Some comments were made about the CARS project given to Dr. Ramakrishna, IIT Kanpur in the published anonymous letter. In fact, all the CARS projects in the Nanophotonics programme were allotted after extensive discussions between a team headed by Director IRDE and the respective research groups over a period of one year. As a part of this exercise, the IRDE team also visited Dr. Ramakrishna’s lab and had extensive discussions with his group.
6. In an organisation that gives very less priority for R&D activities, the Photonics Division at IRDE has made some good effort at developing some difficult technologies. As in all cases where technology is developed from scratch, efforts begin to show up in the form of tangible products after some time. All the hard work put in by the Photonics Division will bear fruit in the next few years.
7. Unlike majority of the scientists, who are engaged in ‘Vendor development’ instead of technology development, Photonics Division can boast of a bunch of scientists who have developed a good expertise in their area of work. From a human resource development point of view, this is a remarkable achievement. The IRDE top management over the years needs to commended for nurturing this division.
Regarding the recruitment of the involved scientists, an impartial enquiry needs to be conducted. This is in the interests of the concerned scientists also. But some facts regarding the contributions of Dr. Amit Agarwal and Dr. Alpana Bhagatji after they were recruited needs to be brought out.
1. Dr. Amit and Dr. Alpana contributed significantly in the groundwork activities that led to IRDE taking up a major project in the area of Micro-optics and Nanophotonics. Today, IRDE is one of the best labs in the country working in this area. There are a bunch of scientists who have good expertise in this area.
2. Dr. Amit has contributed significantly to the Micro-fabrication activities at IRDE. This is due to his prior experience during PhD at Raman Research Institute and post PhD at Canada.
3. Dr. Alpana developed a software for the development of Diffractive Optical structures which is being used currently. The performance of this software is comparable with commercial software with added advantage of flexibility of use as it was developed in house.
4. There were some comments about CARS project allotted to a professor in IIT Kanpur in the published anonymous letter. In fact all the CARS project in the Nanophotonics project were allotted after extensive discussions between an IRDE team and the respective academic groups. An IRDE team headed by Director IRDE visited all the research facilities including IIT Kanpur.
5. In an organisation that gives very less priority for R&D activities, the Photonics Division at IRDE has made some good efforts at developing some difficult technologies indegeniously against all odds, As in all cases where technology is developed from scratch, visibility for these activities have been low.However, visibility will increase in the coming years as many basic technologies developed will be converted to concrete products.
6. Unlike many scientists today engaged in ‘Vendor Development’ instead of Technology Development, Photonics Division at IRDE can boast of having nurtured a set of people who have developed good expertise in their respective areas and who really know what they do. This is a commendable achievement from a human resource development point of view. The top management of IRDE over the years needs to be commended for nurturing this division.
anti corruption says
That’s right …Mk2 and ADA Insider…Strongly recommended that Raj kanwar Jolly’s service should be annulled. He has been a bad egg everywhere he worked.
Vigilance should find out how much money he bribed to ADA director to get a lateral entry at the age of 55 years ! where is this country going
SANTOSH KUMAR says
What a person do if he could not get job till 55 years inspite of his hard work. There should not be any age limit in any services being a civil services. The other problem with DRDO is selection of the sons and daughters as scientist for those already working here. DRDO pattern should like ISRO. There should be a focus task.